Being open year-round and having so many attractions and facilities makes it pretty much impossible for Walt Disney World to have 100% of their attractions open 100% of the time. To keep things safe and looking like new, attractions need to be regularly maintained and sometimes refurbished.
Below is a quick listing of the Disney World closed rides and their anticipated open dates (for new attractions), reopen dates (for refurbished rides) and close dates (for the dearly departed rides). When planning your trip to Disney World, be sure to do a little research to be sure your favorite rides are all up and running so you can have the most magical experience possible wihtout the unfortunate surprise of closed Disney World rides that you were looking forward to.
As always, it should be noted that ride availability dates can be subject to change, so be sure to check the official Disney website for specific ride info.
Reopen Dates for Disney World Closed Rides, Attractions and Restaurants:
- Disney World Railroad (Ride; Magic Kingdom) Est closed January 9-March 2, 2017
- Hall of Presidents (Show; Magic Kingdom) Est closed January 17-June 29, 2017
- Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon (Water Park) Est closed December 25, 2016-March 11, 2017
Permanently Closed Disney World Rides, Attractions and Restaurants:
- Pizza Planet (Restaurant, Hollywood Studios) Closed January 2016
- Lights, Motors, Action! (Show, Hollywood Studios) Closed April 2016
- Honey I Shrunk the Kids (Ride, Hollywood Studios) Closed April 2016
- Streets of America (Attraction, Hollywood Studios) Closed April 2016
- Shark Reef (Attraction, Typhoon Lagoon) Closed October 2016
- Main Street Electrical Parade (Parade, Magic Kingdom) Closed October 2016
- The Jungle Book: Alive with Magic (Show, Animal Kingdom) Closed September 2016
- Writer’s Stop (Restaurant, Hollywood Studios) Closed October 2016
- Starring Rolls Cafe (Restaurant, Hollywood Studios) Closed February 2017
Open Dates for New Disney World Rides, Attractions and Restaurants:
- Rivers of Light (Show; Animal Kingdom) TBD 2017
- Toy Story Land (Themed Park Section; Hollywood Studios) TBD 2017
- Avatar: Flight of Passage (Ride; Animal Kingdom) May 27, 2017
- Star Wars Land (Themed Park Section; Hollywood Studios) Est open 2019