ESPN announced this week that a staple of 1970’s and 80’s TV is returning this summer. Battle of the Network Stars will get a reboot in the form of a 10-episode run beginning June 29th.
For those of you too young to remember the original, Battle of the Network Stars is an athletic competition between individuals of varying levels of stardom from rival television networks. It ran originally from 1976-1988 on ABC. The shows work in a hint of reality and comedy to the mix. According to the announcement, the show will feature “a fresh take at some of the classic show’s sporting events like Tug of War, Archery, Kayak Relay, the Obstacle Course and the Dunk Tank.”
Battle of the Network Stars will be hosted by ESPN’s Mike Greenberg and Joe Tessitore with Cassidy Hubbarth and Cari Champion the “sideline” reporters. NFLer DeMarcus Ware and Ronda Rousey of MMA fame will be the team captains.
The slate of 100 stars has not been announced yet. I will update this post when they are.
Battle of the Network Stars will air Thursday at 9pm EST this summer on ABC, beginning on June 29th.
In the meantime, here is the original Battle of the Network Stars opening from 1976 for a little nostalgia to get you ready for the premiere.
- What is Disney Doing for Disney World’s 50th Anniversary?, February 24, 2021
- When Will Disneyland Reopen?, February 23, 2021
- 2021 & 2022 Walt Disney World Vacation Packages Now Available!, December 31, 2020
- Disney+ Upcoming Movies and Shows with Release Dates, July 28, 2020
- When Will Disney World Reopen?, April 20, 2020