Haunted Mansion (Disney World)
Haunted Mansion Ride Details:
Edge into a shadowy foyer and climb aboard a gloomy Doom Buggy for a supernatural journey through a labyrinth of haunted chambers in Disney World’s Haunted Mansion. Glide past a casket-filled conservatory, a chilling séance room and a ghostly graveyard of singing specters as you attempt to find your way out.
Blending giggling ghouls with things that go bump in the night, this classic attraction promises to send chills up and down your shivering spine.
Once an abandoned residence in the center of Liberty Square, the Mansion has been home to 999 unearthly specters since October 1, 1971, including:
- The Ghost Host
The disembodied voice of this helpful ghoul is your private guide through the cadaverous realm of the estate, directing you from room to room. Just try to find your way out!
- Madame Leota
You’re invited to a candle-lit séance hosted by the otherworldly medium, Madame Leota. Sit tight and pray for light as apparitions all around you materialize and make their ghostly presences known.
- Hitchhiking Ghosts
If you happen to make it through the mansion, be warned that 3 phantoms await you at the exit and shall surely follow you home—but not before performing ghoulish new pranks to keep you in good spirits.
Happy Haunting Grounds
Over 15 rooms are waiting to be explored within the brick-draped walls of this darkened, spirit-infested abode, including:
- The Portrait Chamber
You won’t believe your eyes in this strange stretching room, where secrets are revealed on the walls and an unseen horror high overhead comes to light.
- Grand Ballroom
Be the Guest of Honor at this haunted party! Behold transparent revelers waltzing to and fro, banshee heads floating out of a nearby organ and 2 haunted men in a duel from the great beyond.
- The Graveyard
Drift through a midnight cemetery overflowing with spooks and specters joyously singing the haunting anthem, “Grim Grinning Ghosts,” as a cemetery watchman and his bony dog quiver in fear.
Facts and Stats:
- The ride’s exit features a small pet cemetery with a tribute to Mr Toad, which was placed there when Mr Toad’s Wild Ride shut down in 1998.
- The ride has 160 buggies and travels at roughly 1.5 miles per hour
- There is a hidden Mickey in the ballroom scene. Look at the place settings…
- The special effect that makes the ballroom scene seem so realistic is a trick called ‘Peppers Ghost,” which is named after scientist John Henry Pepper. The effect uses glass to reflect a room that is unseen to the viewer. Other examples of this effect are the Blue Fairy in Disneyland’s Pinocchio’s Daring Journey and the 3D hologram of Tupac Shakur at Coachella in 2012. Modern day teleprompters also use the basic premise of Peppers Ghost.
Haunted Mansion Ride Video:
Disney Characters in this Post:
- Disney Unveils New Fall and Halloween Gift Card Designs
- Halloween at Disney World | What You Need to Know (2018 Edition)
- Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom 45th Anniversary
- New Disney World Magic Band Artwork Available
- 150 Amazing Walt Disney World Facts, Figures and Statistics (2019)