Last Updated on: November 25th, 2023
Tomorrowland is a themed area located within Disneyland Park, one of two theme parks at the Disneyland Resort in Anaheim, California. The area is designed to showcase the future and technological advancements, featuring a variety of attractions and experiences that take guests on a journey through time and space.
Tomorrowland features several classic attractions such as Space Mountain, a roller coaster that simulates a journey through space, and Star Tours, a motion simulator ride that takes guests on a journey through the Star Wars galaxy. The area also features several live entertainment options such as the Tomorrowland Terrace Dance Party, a live show featuring popular music, and the Tomorrowland Expo, an interactive experience that takes guests behind the scenes of futuristic technology.
Tomorrowland also includes dining options such as the Alien Pizza Planet and the Redd Rockett’s Pizza Port, both themed around space and futuristic concepts and also features several souvenir shops like the Star Trader and the Space Place.
Disneyland Tomorrowland History:
- 1955: First version of Tomorrowland opens at Disneyland with limited attractions due to budget cuts.
- 1955-1956: New attractions include Tomorrowland Boats, The World Beneath Us, Aluminum Hall of Fame, and The Flight Circle.
- 1956: Renaming of Tomorrowland Boats to Phantom Boats and addition of Dutch Boy Color Gallery, Astro Jets, and Skyway to Fantasyland.
- 1957: Introduction of Monsanto House of the Future and Viewliner.
- 1959: Opening of Disneyland Monorail, Submarine Voyage, and Matterhorn Bobsleds.
- 1966: Tomorrowland undergoes a complete rebuild, featuring Carousel of Progress, Adventure Thru Inner Space, and PeopleMover.
- 1973: Carousel of Progress closes, and America Sings opens.
- 1975: Space Mountain opens, Super Speed Tunnel is added to PeopleMover, and Circle-Vision 360 is updated.
- 1984: Circle-Vision 360 receives new film called American Journeys.
- 1986: Introduction of Star Tours and Captain EO.
- 1993: Planned refurbishment “Tomorrowland 2055” is canceled.
- 1995-1998: Closure and remodeling of various attractions, including PeopleMover, Rocket Jets, and Mission to Mars.
- 1998: Tomorrowland reopens with a retro-futuristic theme, featuring Rocket Rods, Honey, I Shrunk the Audience, and Red Rockett’s Pizza Port.
- 2005: Space Mountain undergoes refurbishment, and Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters opens.
- 2007: Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage replaces Submarine Voyage, and Disneyland Monorail upgrades to Mark VII models.
- 2010: Captain EO returns, Star Tours closes for refurbishment, and Innoventions transforms into Tomorrowland Expo Center.
- 2011: Star Tours – The Adventures Continue opens.
- 2015: Launch of “Season of the Force” with Star Wars-themed updates, including Star Wars Launch Bay, Jedi Training: Trials of the Temple, and Hyperspace Mountain.
- 2019: Removal of 1998-era Tomorrowland sign and rockwork as part of Project Stardust improvement project.
Disneyland Tomorrowland Rides, Attractions, Restaurants, Shows and Shops:
Here is your complete guide to each of the rides, attractions and restaurants, past and present, located in Disneyland Tomorrowland. Click on a listing below to learn more about it.