Here is everything you need to know about the amazing Hollywood Pictures movie The Scarlet Letter including casting, reviews, fun facts and more. I hope you find this listing informative and helpful!
Contents of this article:
- The Scarlet Letter Description
- The Scarlet Letter Cast
- The Scarlet Letter Crew
- The Scarlet Letter Details
- The Scarlet Letter Trailer
The Scarlet Letter Description
“The Scarlet Letter” is a drama film released in 1995, directed by Roland Joffé. The movie is an adaptation of the classic novel of the same name by Nathaniel Hawthorne. It stars Demi Moore as Hester Prynne, Gary Oldman as Reverend Arthur Dimmesdale, and Robert Duvall as Roger Chillingworth.
The story is set in 17th-century Puritan Massachusetts and follows Hester Prynne, a young woman who is publicly shamed and forced to wear a scarlet letter “A” on her clothing as a mark of her adultery. Hester refuses to reveal the identity of the father of her illegitimate child, Pearl, and silently bears the scorn of her community.
As the story unfolds, it becomes clear that the father of Hester’s child is the highly respected Reverend Arthur Dimmesdale, who struggles with his guilt and inner turmoil.
As Hester and Dimmesdale grapple with the consequences of their actions, the sinister Roger Chillingworth, Hester’s long-lost husband, seeks revenge against the man responsible for his wife’s shame.
“The Scarlet Letter” explores themes of sin, guilt, redemption, and the harsh judgment of society. It delves into the complexities of human nature and the destructive power of secrets and hypocrisy.
The film received mixed reviews from critics, but it has been appreciated for its faithful adaptation of the source material and the strong performances of its cast.
“The Scarlet Letter” serves as a touchstone for viewers seeking a poignant and thought-provoking drama that examines the human condition and the consequences of moral transgressions. It remains a compelling and timeless story that continues to resonate with audiences, exploring the complexities of love, shame, and forgiveness in a society dominated by rigid moral codes.
The Scarlet Letter Cast
- Demi Moore: Hester Prynne
- Gary Oldman: Rev. Arthur Dimmesdale
- Robert Duvall: Roger Prynne/ Roger Chillingworth
- Edward Hardwicke: John Bellingham
- Lisa Joliffe-Andoh: Mituba
- Robert Prosky: Horace Stonehall
- Roy Dotrice: Rev. Thomas Cheever
- Joan Plowright: Harriet Hibbons
- Larissa Laskin: Goody Mortimer
- Amy Wright: Goody Gotwick
- George Aguilar: Johnny Sassamon
- Tim Woodward: Brewster Stonehall
- Dana Ivey: Meredith Stonehall
- Sheldon Peters Wolfchild: Moskeegee
- Eric Schweig: Metacomet
- Kristin Fairlie: Faith Stonehall
- Sarah Campbell: Prudence Stonehall
- Kennetch Charlette: Tarratine Chief
The Scarlet Letter Crew
- Director: Roland Joffre
- Producers: Roland Joffre and Andrew Vajna
- Screenplay: Douglas Day Stewart