Here is everything you need to know about the amazing Big Thunder Mountain Railroad attraction at Disneyland including history, reviews, fun facts, photos and more. I hope you find this listing informative and helpful!
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad | Disneyland Description
Streak through a legendary gold-mining town aboard a rollicking runaway mine train on Disneyland’s Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.
Amid rugged bedrock and desert cactus, venture inside a barren mountain to the Big Thunder Mining Company, established in the early days of America’s Gold Rush. Traipse down and discover a mysterious 5-car locomotive waiting to take you on a journey inside an abandoned mine shaft.
Hang Onto Your Hats
Hurl forward into the darkness of a tunnel as the train’s wheels chug back and forth across a winding track.
Swoop around sharp turns and dip and drop into canyons and caves, darting through the ghost town of Big
Peel under a booming waterfall, past rock formations, and dodge a rumbling boulder from an unexpected landslide. Glimpse the remnants of an earthquake and behold a bevy of local critters—including bats, opossum and a goat with a stick of dynamite in his mouth—before hastily making your way back to the safety of the railroad station.
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad | Disneyland Fun Facts
- The footprint of the Disney World version of Big Thunder Mountain is 25% bigger than Disneyland’s.
- The highest point of the ride environment is nearly 200 feet tall
- Guests must be 40 inches tall to ride.
- The ghost town you venture through in the ride is named Tumbleweed.
- The ride tops off at 36 mph (14 mph slower than Expedition Everest and 24 mph slower than Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster)
- The ride includes 20 audio-animatronics Disney Legend Tony Baxter designed Big Thunder Mountain in the early 1970’s.
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad | Disneyland Details
- Disney Resort: Disneyland Resort
- Disney Park: Disneyland Park
- Park Area: Disneyland Frontierland
- Attraction Type: Ride
- Official Page
- Year Opened: 1979
- Replaced: Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad | Disneyland Experience:
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at Disneyland Closing for Refurbishment in April, February 21, 2023
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to close for brief refurbishment in January 2023, December 15, 2022
- Disneyland and Disney World’s Big Thunder Mountain ride gets its own board game, June 20, 2022
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad reopening in November, September 28, 2021
- News: Refurbishment Announced for Big Thunder Mountain for 2020, December 21, 2019