Here is everything you need to know about Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom’s Astro Orbiter ride including history, fun facts, photos and more. I hope you find this listing informative and helpful!
Astro Orbiter | Disney World Description
Maneuver a rocket-like spacecraft into the farthest reaches of space and back. As the newest star pilot to join the Astro Orbiter fleet, the time has come for you to take to the sky. Board an elevator with fellow cadets and ascend to a loading platform for your space flight to begin.
After receiving authorization from Ground Control, make your way to a gleaming 2-passenger spaceship of your choice and prepare for launch. Then, hold on tight as your spacecraft levitates and begins a series of revolutions around a galaxy of planets, as the sights and sounds of Tomorrowland whizz by in the distance below.
Steer Through Outer Space
As you take control of your very own rocket, you are in command of your flight. Control how high you fly by pulling or pushing the lever inside the ship. (source)
Astro Orbiter | Disney World Fun Facts
- The ride opened in 1974 as Star Jets. It became Astro Orbiter in 1994’s Tomorrowland overhaul.
- The attraction is similar to Dumbo the Flying Elephant and the Magic Kingdom version of the ride is based on the original version of the attraction that opened at Disneyland in 1967.
- The ride offers great views of Tomorrowland and the Magic Kingdom, and it’s a great spot for photo opportunities.
- The attraction features a number of colorful and flashy lights, as well as a high-energy musical score, making it a popular spot for guests of all ages.
- The ride’s queue features a number of interactive elements, such as a large spaceship model, and a number of Tomorrowland-themed posters and signs.
- The attraction is popular among guests looking for a fun and thrilling ride, but it’s not recommended for guests who are prone to motion sickness as it’s a spinning ride.
- Astro Orbiter is also a great spot to catch some air conditioning on a hot day.
Astro Orbiter | Disney World Details
- Disney Resort: Walt Disney World Resort
- Disney Park: Magic Kingdom Park
- Park Area: Magic Kingdom Tomorrowland
- Attraction Type: Ride
- Official Page
- Year Opened: 1974