Here is everything you need to know about Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom’s Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress show including history, fun facts, photos and more. I hope you find this listing informative and helpful!
Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress | Disney World Description
Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress is a classic attraction located in the Magic Kingdom park at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida. It is an iconic example of Walt Disney’s dedication to innovation and showcasing the progress of technology over time.
The attraction takes guests on a rotating theater journey through different time periods, beginning in the early 20th century and progressing into the future. The central focus is a theater-in-the-round with multiple stages, each representing a different era and showcasing the advancements in technology and daily life.
The Carousel of Progress features a catchy theme song, “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow,” written by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman, which has become synonymous with the attraction. As the theater rotates, guests witness scenes depicting different aspects of daily life, including home life, technological advancements, and the changing roles of family members.
The attraction’s story is centered around an American family, the Johnsons, and their experiences across the decades. The scenes highlight how technology, inventions, and societal changes have improved daily life, with a focus on the optimism and progress of each era.
Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress is unique in that it was originally created for the 1964-1965 New York World’s Fair before being moved to Disneyland and eventually finding its permanent home at Walt Disney World. It is one of the few remaining attractions personally overseen by Walt Disney himself and holds a special place in Disney history.
The Carousel of Progress offers a nostalgic and sentimental journey, showcasing the optimism and hope for the future that Walt Disney himself embodied. It remains a beloved and timeless attraction that continues to entertain and educate guests about the advancements in technology and the enduring spirit of progress.
Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress | Disney World Fun Facts
- Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress is one of the oldest attractions at Disney World, it was first opened at the 1964-1965 World’s Fair in New York City before being moved to Disneyland in 1967 and later to Magic Kingdom in 1975.
- The attraction is a tribute to the progress of technology and its impact on the American way of life.
- The theater holds 240 guests.
- The show runtime is roughly 21 minutes.
- The show was sponsored by GE (General Electric) from its open in 1975 until 1985.
- The show has had 2 large refurbishments over the years (1981 and 1994) and a few minor ones along the way including the slight changes to the final scene made in 2022.
- The Orville character changed from a cousin to an uncle in 1994.
- Orville is voiced by Mel Blanc, more famously known for voicing Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck.
- The attraction’s theme song “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” written by the Sherman Brothers, became a classic and it’s still being played in the attraction.
- The attraction is unique among Disney World attractions, as it is one of the few attractions that is continuously running, and guests enter and exit the theater as the show progresses.
- Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress is a favorite among guests who appreciate the nostalgia and the historical context of the attraction, it’s also a great way to escape the heat and enjoy a relaxing show.
Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress | Disney World Details
Disney Character(s) in this Post:John (Carousel of Progress)