Here is everything you need to know about Walt Disney World’s Magic Kingdom’s Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress show including history, fun facts, photos and more. I hope you find this listing informative and helpful!
Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress | Disney World Description
In Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress, discover how industrial advances over the past century have changed everyday living for an American family.
Look back to the past and get a glimpse of the future at Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress, a fascinating 21-minute Audio-Animatronics stage show celebrating the evolution of technology throughout the 20th century and today.
This light-hearted show follows a typical American family—narrated by patriarch, John—through 4 generations of the past 100 years. During each era, learn how the technological marvels of the day have made life more convenient, comfortable and fun—and paved the way for even more new and exciting innovations.
- Act 1: Spring, Turn of the 20th Century
See how advances like gas lamps, the hand-cranked washing machine and a gramophone made the pre-electric era a breeze.
- Act 2: Summer, 1920s
Behold modern conveniences like the electric iron, the radio, the sewing machine and the light bulb— brought to life through the power of electricity.
- Act 3: Autumn, 1940s
The automatic dishwasher, an electric exercise machine and the introduction of the television are just some of the wonders that made life in suburbia even easier.
- Act 4: Winter, The Present
Today’s high-tech marvels include virtual-reality games, high-definition televisions and voice-activated household appliances.
A Revolutionary Theatrical Experience
Presented inside a revolving theater, the show includes an innovative audience seating area that rotates around a stationary central stage from act to act like a carousel. (source)
Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress | Disney World Fun Facts
- Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress is one of the oldest attractions at Disney World, it was first opened at the 1964-1965 World’s Fair in New York City before being moved to Disneyland in 1967 and later to Magic Kingdom in 1975.
- The attraction is a tribute to the progress of technology and its impact on the American way of life.
- The theater holds 240 guests.
- The show runtime is roughly 21 minutes.
- The show was sponsored by GE (General Electric) from its open in 1975 until 1985.
- The show has had 2 large refurbishments over the years (1981 and 1994) and a few minor ones along the way including the slight changes to the final scene made in 2022.
- The Orville character changed from a cousin to an uncle in 1994.
- Orville is voiced by Mel Blanc, more famously known for voicing Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck.
- The attraction’s theme song “There’s a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow” written by the Sherman Brothers, became a classic and it’s still being played in the attraction.
- The attraction is unique among Disney World attractions, as it is one of the few attractions that is continuously running, and guests enter and exit the theater as the show progresses.
- Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress is a favorite among guests who appreciate the nostalgia and the historical context of the attraction, it’s also a great way to escape the heat and enjoy a relaxing show.
Walt Disney’s Carousel of Progress | Disney World Details
- Disney Resort: Walt Disney World Resort
- Disney Park: Magic Kingdom Park
- Park Area: Magic Kingdom Tomorrowland
- Attraction Type: Show
- Official Page
- Year Opened: 1975
- Replaced: Nothing
Disney Character(s) in this Post:John (Carousel of Progress)