Word came out a few months that the Disneyquest attraction at Disney Springs was closing to make way for a new NBA Experience complex. Disneyquest is now closed, and Disney has released more information about what visitors to the new NBA Experience at Disney Springs can expect, including an opening date of Summer 2019. Here is a rundown of all the details (source):
Inspired by the modern architecture of new NBA arenas around the country, the building design exudes the same spirit and energizing impact, while creating an unmistakable and entertaining connection to the NBA in a way that only Disney can.
It’s one of several ways Disney Springs is still growing and adding new experiences to delight and entertain our Guests.
“We are inspired by the design of the new building and the energy that it will bring to the West Side of Disney Springs,” said Senior Vice President of Disney Springs and ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex Maribeth Bisienere.
The state-of-the-art space will include interactive games and competitions, immersive experiences, a retail store and an adjacent restaurant.
NBA President, Global Partnerships Sal LaRocca, recently commented on the project, sharing, “This one-of-a-kind experience is sure to be enjoyed by basketball and Disney fans of all ages who visit Disney Springs from around the world.”
Update 3/25/19: Disney has announced that the NBA Experience will open on August 12th. Here is further details about the attraction from the opening announcement:
In collaboration with the NBA, Disney is developing NBA Experience as a one-of-a-kind environment packed with 13 interactive elements and hands-on activities across 44,000 square feet and two floors. NBA Experience will give guests the chance to feel like a basketball superstar.
Upon entry to NBA Experience, guests will feel as if they’re walking through the players’ tunnel at an NBA or WNBA arena. A ticket to NBA Experience grants access to every activity, in any order guests choose, with the ability to return to stations to improve performances or learn even more about the game, players and teams they love. In addition to the competitions and games, the experience will also include a retail store featuring NBA-themed merchandise.
Additional elements of the destination include:
- A slam dunk challenge, where guests can change the height of a standard 10-foot hoop to as low as seven feet to perform their own superstar moves – captured by burst photography.
- An activity that tests shooting skills with spots on a court that light up as guests move from one location to another attempting to sink as many shots as possible in 15 seconds.
- A way for guests to see how they stack up to some of the world’s best basketball players by measuring their vertical leap, wingspan, shooting and dribbling.
- Personalization for various activities with guests’ names and associating the activity with their favorite NBA or WNBA teams.
- Real-time technology to aggregate statistics of NBA and WNBA games and players for continuous updates, while leaderboards will track top NBA Experience performers throughout each day.
Update 5/9/19: Tickets are now available for the NBA Experience, which will hold its grand opening on August 12, 2019. Tickets to the attraction are $34 (plus tax) for guest ages 10 and older and $29 (plus tax) for children ages 3-9. Tickets can be purchased here.