The new Disney Skyliner Transportation System was one of my favorite new projects announced at the D23 conference last summer. As a frequent visitor to WDW, I very much welcome any way Disney can make travel between resorts and parks more pleasurable than the resort bus system. Here is everything you need to know about this new Disney gondola system:
What is the Disney Skyliner Transportation System?
Simply put, it is a gondola system that will usher passengers in the air between select resorts and Disney parks.
When Will the Disney World Skyliner Open?
Disney announced in July 2019 that the Disney Skyliner will open on September 29, 2019.
Where Will the Disney Skyliner System Run?
The new gondola system will run from Disney’s Art of Animation, Pop Century, Caribbean Beach and Disney’s soon-to-be built Riviera Resort to Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Caribbean Beach will have its own station, which appears to be what they will be using the old main desk building for from the pictures and Pop Century and Art of Animation will share a Skyliner station. It is unclear as to how the Skyliner will be integrated into the Riviera property.
The presumed location of the Epcot Skyliner station will be near the International entrance next to France in World Showcase and Hollywood Studios’ station will likely be near the Tower of Terror.
What Will the Disney Gondolas Look Like?
The Skyliner cabins will be colorful and tough to miss. Roughly half of the 300 cabins will have Disney character and park artwork on them. Here is a quick sketch Disney shared with us that depicts how these cabins should look:
Here is a recently-released video from Disney Parks running down a few key stats and facts about the Skyliner:
And here is a video from D23’s Destination D event on November 17th in which an actual Disney Skyliner gondola was unveiled:
Finally, here is the most recent video from Disney showing the Skyliners being tested:
Disney Characters on Skyliner Cabins:
- Mickey Mouse
- Minnie Mouse
- Chip & Dale
- Goofy, Pete, Horace Horsecollar and Clarabelle Cow
- Finding Dory
- Haunted Mansion
- Monsters, Inc.
- Pirates of the Caribbean
Fun Disney Skyliner Stats:
- Amount of cables used: 6 miles
- Number of gondolas: 300
- Number of loading stations: 5
- Number of resort hotels the system will service: 4
- Number of gondola lines: 3
- Number of theme parks the system will connect: 2
- Max seating capacity per gondola: 10
A Skyliner Restaurant?
Yes, the Skyliner will even have its own quick service restaurant. The Caribbean Beach Resort station will have a Joffrey’s Coffee shop adjacent to it. Among the offerings at the new shop will be the specialty “Toffee Flight Latte” drink, which will be exclusive to the location initially.
Disney Skyliner Concept Art:
Disney Skyliner Testing Photos:
As of May 9th, 2019, 55 of the Skyliners gondolas are unwrapped and being run in special test runs across Walt Disney World Resort. Have a look:
- Disney Skyliner reopens following annual refurbishment, January 31, 2023
- Disney Skyliner Closing for Refurbishment in January 2023 at Walt Disney World, August 16, 2022
- BREAKING: Face Masks Now Optional on Disney Skyliner, March 16, 2022
- Disney Skyliner partially reopens from refurbishment ahead of schedule, January 28, 2022
- Disney Skyliner EPCOT Line Closing for Refurbishment January 23, January 1, 2022