Here is everything you need to know about the amazing Disney movie The Hunchback Of Notre Dame including casting, reviews, fun facts and more. I hope you find this listing informative and helpful!
The Hunchback Of Notre Dame Description
“The Hunchback of Notre Dame” is a 1996 animated musical film produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It is based on Victor Hugo’s classic novel of the same name, though the Disney adaptation takes a more family-friendly approach to the story.
The film is set in 15th-century Paris and revolves around the kind-hearted but deformed Quasimodo (voiced by Tom Hulce), who is the bell-ringer of Notre Dame Cathedral. He lives in isolation in the bell tower under the care of Judge Claude Frollo (voiced by Tony Jay), who raised him after his parents’ death. Frollo is a ruthless and prejudiced man who despises anyone different from himself.
Quasimodo’s life changes when he ventures outside during the Festival of Fools and meets the beautiful gypsy Esmeralda (voiced by Demi Moore). Despite facing prejudice and discrimination, Esmeralda shows kindness and acceptance toward Quasimodo, forming a deep bond with him.
As the story unfolds, Quasimodo’s loyalty is tested as he becomes embroiled in Frollo’s sinister plan to capture and eliminate all the gypsies in Paris. With the help of his gargoyle friends, Victor, Hugo, and Laverne (voiced by Jason Alexander, Charles Kimbrough, and Mary Wickes), Quasimodo must confront Frollo and stand up for what is right.
“The Hunchback of Notre Dame” stands out as one of Disney’s darker and more mature animated films, tackling themes of prejudice, discrimination, and moral complexity. The movie’s powerful and emotional music, composed by Alan Menken with lyrics by Stephen Schwartz, further enhances the storytelling.
Despite its darker tone, “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” received critical acclaim for its animation, music, and voice performances. It earned praise for its emotional depth and willingness to address complex themes within a family-friendly framework.
The film’s portrayal of Quasimodo as a sympathetic and brave protagonist fighting against injustice resonated with audiences, making it a favorite among Disney fans. “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” remains a significant entry in Disney’s animated library, showcasing the studio’s ability to create thought-provoking and emotionally impactful films that appeal to both children and adults.
The Hunchback Of Notre Dame Fun Facts
- “The Hunchback of Notre Dame” is based on the 1831 novel of the same name by Victor Hugo, but the Disney version is significantly different from the original story.
- The movie was released in 1996 and was directed by Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise, who also directed “Beauty and the Beast.”
- The film was the first animated Disney movie to receive a PG rating.
- The character of Quasimodo was voiced by Tom Hulce, who is also known for his role as Mozart in the movie “Amadeus.”
- The songs in the movie were composed by Alan Menken, who also composed the music for many other Disney movies, including “The Little Mermaid” and “Aladdin.”
- The song “Hellfire” was almost cut from the movie because it was considered too dark and intense for a Disney movie, but it was ultimately included.
- The gargoyles in the movie, named Victor, Hugo, and Laverne, are named after Victor Hugo, the author of the original novel and two of his characters.
- The film was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Music, Original Musical or Comedy Score, but it lost to “The English Patient.”
- The movie features some impressive animation techniques, including the use of computer-generated images to create the sweeping views of Paris seen throughout the film.
The Hunchback Of Notre Dame Cast:
- Tom Hulce: Quasimodo
- Demi Moore: Esmeralda (singing voice by Heidi Mollenhauer)
- Tony Jay: Judge Claude Frollo
- Kevin Kline: Captain Phoebus
- Paul Kandel: Clopin Trouillefou
- Charles Kimbrough, Jason Alexander, and Mary Wickes: Victor, Hugo, and Laverne
- David Ogden Stiers: the Archdeacon
- Frank Welker: Djali
- Corey Burton: Brutish Guard
- Bill Fagerbakke: Oafish Guard
- Gary Trousdale: The Old Heretic
- Mary Kay Bergman: Quasimodo’s Mother
- Bob Bergen: Achilles
The Hunchback Of Notre Dame Crew:
- Directors: Gary Trousdale and Kirk Wise
- Producer: Don Hahn
- Music: Alan Menken
The Hunchback Of Notre Dame Details
The Hunchback Of Notre Dame Trailer:
- A Guy Like You (Song)
- God Help the Outcasts (Song)
- Hellfire (Song)
- Out There (Song)
- Someday (Song)
- The Bells of Notre Dame (Song)
- Topsy Turvy (Song)
- Gad Says We’re “Getting Closer” to Live-Action ‘Hunchback of Notre Dame’, January 27, 2021
- Disney Reportedly Developing Live-Action “Hunchback” Musical, January 17, 2019