What is Force Friday?
Back in 2015, when the Star Wars fandom was on the cusp the launch of the latest franchise trilogy Disney decided to hold a fan celebration to roll out merchandise associated with the new film. Flash forward two years, and with the release of Star Wars: The Last Jedi in just a few month, Disney is holding the second such event: Force Friday 2!
When is Force Friday 2?
Force Friday 2 begins at 12:01 am on September 1, 2017. While there have been a few leaked pictures here and there, for the most part, this will be the moment when the new Star Wars merchandise will be revealed and available for purchase.
How Will Disney Parks be Celebrating Force Friday 2?
Both Disneyland and Disney World will be holding Force Friday 2 events to celebrate the launch of the new toys and other merchandise at their respective World of Disney stores. In addition to the normal retail goods, there will also be exclusive Disney Parks items as well. Both Disney Parks events are free, but do require registration.
Registration info for the Disneyland Force Friday Event in the Downtown Disney District:
Registration will be accepted only on DisneyParksMerchandise.com beginning August 24 at 11:00 a.m. (Pacific) / 2:00 p.m. (Eastern).
Registration info for the Disney World Force Friday Event at Disney Springs:
Guests will be given a numbered wristband on a first-come, first-serve basis. Once a wristband is received, guests are invited to return to World of Disney by 11:30 p.m. where they will be lined up in sequential order. Doors open at 12:01 a.m. on September 1.
Disney is recommending that you please park in the Lime Parking Garage at Disney Springs for shopping convenience.
New Star Wars Books to be Released on Force Friday 2
A number of new Star Wars books will be released on Force Friday II, many of which belong to the new “Journey to Star Wars: The Last Jedi” book series. Here is a rundown of the new books being released:
- Leia: Princess of Alderaan (Disney Lucasfilm Press) by Claudia Gray
- Phasma (Del Rey) by Delilah S. Dawson
- The Power of the Force (Disney Lucasfilm Press) by Michael Siglain (author) and Brian Rood (artist)
- A Leader Named Leia (Disney Lucasfilm Press) by Jennifer Heddle (author) and Brian Rood (artist)
- Tales of the Force (a Big Golden Book) (Random House)
- BB-8 on the Run (Disney Lucasfilm Press) by Drew Daywalt (author) and Matt Myers (artist)
- Star Wars: Made Easy: A Beginner’s Guide to a Galaxy Far, Far Away… (DK Publishing) by Christian Blauvelt
- Kirigami: The Starships (Chronicle) by Marc Jagan-Guirey (Author and artist)
- Stealth Mission Construction Book (Poe’s X-wing) (Egmont UK) by Rob Ball (model artwork) and Neal Manning (paper engineer)
- Keepsake Coloring Book (Disney Lucasfilm Press) by Katie Cook
- Look & Find (PIP) by Art Mawhinney
- Star Wars: Annual 2018 (Egmont UK) by Egmont UK staff
- Captain Phasma Mini-Series (Marvel) by Kelly Thompson (author) and Marco Checchetto (artist)
- Star Wars Adventures (IDW Publishing) by Cavan Scott and Landry Walker (authors) and Chris Samnee, Derek Charm, and Eric Jones (artists)
- Absolutely Everything You Need to Know About Star Wars – Updated & Expanded(DK)
- Stormtroopers: Beyond the Armor (HarperCollins)
- The Legends of Luke Skywalker (Disney Lucasfilm Press)
- The Rebel Files (becker&mayer!)
- IncrediBuilds: A-wing book and model (Insight Editions)
- IncrediBuilds: BB-8 book and model (Insight Editions)
- Canto Bight (Del Rey)
You can find much more about these new Star Wars books here on StarWars.com.
Find the Force global Force Friday Augmented Reality Event
Disney and Lucasfilm have announced an amazing augmented reality mobile game they will be releasing to celebrate Force Friday 2. Here is what you need to know about the game:
The pop-up AR treasure hunt is a unique three-day weekend event taking place September 1–3 at more than 20,000 retail locations across 30 countries. Using their smartphones and the existing Star Wars app, consumers will have the opportunity to activate in-store augmented reality experiences featuring Star Wars characters, including fan-favorites and new surprise additions from the film.
“Force Friday II is a major milestone in the countdown to Star Wars: The Last Jedi,” said Kathleen Kennedy, President of Lucasfilm. “Star Wars has always championed new technology, and we are excited that augmented reality will allow fans to experience the universe in a whole new way.”
To participate in the Find the Force AR event, consumers will need to download the latest version of the Star Wars App, then visit any one of 20,000 participating retail locations to find in-store displays that feature graphics containing the Find the Force logo. They can scan the graphic using the Star Wars App, which will reveal a character, who through augmented reality, will appear in the room. They will then have the opportunity to take photos, record videos and share the experience on social media. New characters will be revealed each day (15 in total across the program’s three-day run). Visit StarWars.com/FindTheForce to learn more about next week’s event, and for a list of participating retailers and websites. (source)
Force Friday 2 Sales and Events
Currently, there are only a few retailers that have promoted their FF plans, but if 2015 was any measure, there will surely be many more joining the fray over the next week. I will be updating and adding to this post throughout the week to bring you as many of the sales and special offers as I can find, so be sure to check back soon!
It appears that Amazon will be using the same spot as the 2015 Force Friday event, which can be found here. This may change and I will update this link if it does.
Think Geek Sale
The ever-reliable Think Geek has wasted no time in preparing for next Friday and has set up this section of their website dedicated to FF.
The LEGO Store has created a landing page for their Force Friday LEGO specials. In addition to the new LEGO Star Wars toys that they will be debuting next weekend, they are also offering a free exclusive Scarif Stormtrooper Minifigure with purchases of $50 or more. LEGO is also offering double VIP points on LEGO Star Wars items. Here is more info about the LEGO Force Friday Sale.
Target Force Friday II Event
Target has announced that they will be opening their stores at midnight on September 1st so shoppers can get the earliest possible access to the new Star Wars merchandise. More info about the Target Force Friday 2 event can be found here.
Gap Force Friday 2 Event
Clothing retail store Gap has setup a Force Friday page with a number of awesome Star Wars-themed items. You can check it out here.
Apple Force Friday 2 Projects
Apple is celebrating the Star Wars “holiday” by offering a number of special Star Wars-themed coding lessons. More info can be found here.
Starbucks Force Friday Specialty Drinks
It was announced on the Disney Springs Twitter account that Starbucks will be serving up special Force Friday drinks.
— Disney Springs (@DisneySprings) August 31, 2017
The Starbucks Force Friday specials include:
- The Green Master – Green Tea Frappuchino with Java Chip and Caramel Drizzle
- Galactic Smoothie – Strawberry with Fresh Blueberries
- The Trooper – Vanilla Bean Frappuchino with Java Chips and Mocha Drizzle
- The Dark Side – Java Chip Frappuchino with Toffee Nut Syrup and an Espresso Shot
- O.B. One Cannoli Frappuchino – Caramel Mocha with Cinnamon Dolce Syrup, Mocha Drizzle and Caramel Whipped Cream
We know for sure these drinks will be available at the Disney Springs Starbucks, but it is unclear if they will be offered at other shops.
That is all I have so far. Like I mentioned above, i will be updating this post throughout the next week leading up to the event, so be sure to check back as Friday nears.