Haunted Mansion (Disneyland)
Haunted Mansion Description:
Disneyland’s Haunted Mansion is a fun and spirited tour…
Edge into a dimly lit foyer and climb into a gloomy Doom Buggy for a supernatural journey through a tangle of frightful chambers. Blending giggling ghouls with things that go bump in the night, this classic attraction promises to send chills up and down your shivering spine.
Once an abandoned residence in the center of New Orleans Square, the Mansion has been home to 999 unearthly specters since August 9, 1969, including:
- The Ghost Host
The disembodied voice of this helpful ghoul is your private guide through the cadaverous realm of the estate, directing you from room to room. Just try to find your way out!
- Madame Leota
Amid flickering candlelight, take part in a séance hosted by the otherworldly spiritualist, Madame Leota. As apparitions materialize and make their ghostly presences known around you, sit tight and pray for light.
- Hitchhiking Ghosts
Assuming you make it through the mansion, be warned that 3 mischievous phantoms may be lurking for you at the exit in the hopes of following you home.
Happy Haunting Grounds
Over 15 rooms are waiting to be explored within the darkened, spirit-infested abode, including:
- The Portrait Chamber
Is this room actually stretching? You won’t believe your eyes here, where secrets are revealed on the walls and an unseen horror high overhead comes to light.
- Grand Ballroom
You’re the Guest of Honor at this haunted party! Behold shadowy revelers waltzing to and fro, banshee heads floating out of a nearby organ and 2 haunted men in a duel from the great beyond.
- The Graveyard
Gravitate through a midnight cemetery overflowing with spooks and specters joyously singing the haunting anthem “Grim Grinning Ghosts,” as a cemetery watchman and his bony dog quiver in fear.
Fun Facts and Stats:
- The ride was originally supposed to be a walk-through attraction.
- The attraction was originally supposed to have a feature called the “Museum of the Weird.”
- The ride has 160 buggies and travels at roughly 1.5 miles per hour.
- The special effect that makes the ballroom scene seem so realistic is a trick called ‘Peppers Ghost,” which is named after scientist John Henry Pepper. The effect uses glass to reflect a room that is unseen to the viewer. Other examples of this effect are the Blue Fairy in Disneyland’s Pinocchio’s Daring Journey and the 3D hologram of Tupac Shakur at Coachella in 2012. Modern day teleprompters also use the basic premise of Peppers Ghost.
- The stretching room is actually an elevator as opposed to the actual room stretching mechanism at the Disney World version.
- The ballroom organ is the same one used in the film 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
- This is the most popular Disney ride for guests to try to spread the ashes of loved ones on.
- The hitchhiking ghosts at the end of the ride actually have names. They are Ezra, Gus and Phineas.
- The ride has a few recognizable voices in it:
- Ghost Host: Paul Frees (no, its not Vincent Price), who played the Pillsbury Doughboy, Burgermeister Meisterburger in the claymation Santa Claus is Comin to Town.
- Singin Bust in Graveyard (the one that looks like Walt Disney): Thurl Ravenscroft, who was Tony the Tiger, played Fritz in the Tiki Room and sang “You’re a Mean One Mr Grinch.”
- Madame Leota: Eleanor Audley, who was Lady Tremaine in Cinderella and Maleficent in Sleeping Beauty.
Photo by Averain
Disney Character(s) in this Post:Hitchhiking Ghosts
- Haunted Mansion at Disneyland to Undergo Multiple Month Refurbishment in 2020, December 12, 2019
- The Haunted Mansion Closing for Extensive Refurbishment at Disneyland in January 2020, December 7, 2019
- Haunted Mansion merchandise hits Target and fans have gone crazy, September 8, 2019
- 13 Ghoulish Ghosts that Haunt the Haunted Mansion at Disneyland Park, August 9, 2019
- Celebrate the 50th Anniversary of Haunted Mansion at Disneyland Park and Earn Limited-Time Play Disney Parks App Achievements, August 7, 2019
- More From Disney’s The Haunted Mansion Coming Soon To Funko!, August 5, 2019
- LEGO Ideas The Haunted Mansion: 50th Anniversary Achieves 10,000 Supporters, August 2, 2019
- Going our way? Celebrating 50 Years of the Haunted Mansion ‘Retirement Unliving’ at Disneyland Park, May 22, 2019
- VIDEO: Watch Haunted Mansion Holiday come to life at Disneyland in frightfully fun time-lapse treat, September 30, 2018
- Haunted Mansion Ears Materialize at the Disney Parks, August 3, 2018