When Disney released their animated movie Frozen in 2013, never in their wildest dreams could they have imagined the cultural phenomenon it would become. As the blockbuster is now in the midst of conquering Broadway, I thought it would be a good time to do a little info gathering on it. Here are the most interesting Frozen facts and statistics I was able to dig up. As always, I will be adding new stats and updating the ones below often, so be sure to check back in the future.
- Release Date: November 22, 2013
- Distributor: Walt Disney Studios
- Director: Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee
- Producer: Peter Del Vecho
- Music By: Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez
- Key Stars: Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Jonathan Groff, Josh Gad, Santino Fontana, Alan Tudyk, Chris Williams
- Frozen’s Origin: “The Snow Queen” by Hans Christian Andersen
- Frozen the Musical Debut: August 2017
- Frozen on Broadway Debut: March 2018
Awards Won by Frozen:
- Academy Awards: Best Animated Feature, Best Original Song
- Golden Globe: Best Animated Feature (First non-Pixar Disney feature movie to win this)
- BAFTA Award: Best Animated Film
- Grammy Awards: Best Compilation Soundtrack for Visual Media, Best Song Written for Visual Media
Frozen could have been one of the first Disney feature films:
Walt Disney was interested in an animated movie version of Hans Christian Andersen’s fairy tales (including “The Snow Queen” as early as 1940.
Elsa was originally a villain in early drafts of Frozen and was not Anna’s sister.
The land of Arendelle is modeled after 19th century Norway.
The voice of Oaken (the shop keeper), Chris Williams, is also a writer/director for Moana and Bolt and also directed Big Hero 6 and a number of other movies.
Jennifer Lee was the first woman to direct a Disney animated feature film.
Rapunzel and Flynn Rider make a cameo in Elsa’s coronation scene.
Additional Frozen Movies and Shorts:
- Frozen Fever (2015)
- Olaf’s Frozen Adventure (2017)
- Frozen 2 (2019)
Frozen Movie Budget:
Frozen Box Office Results:
- $400 million (Domestic)
- $870 million (Global)
- $1.27 billion (Total)
- 16 weeks in the top 10 at the box office in the US
Frozen’s All-Time Movie Rankings:
- Highest grossing animated films of all time (#1)
- Highest grossing films of all time (#12)
- Highest grossing films of 2013 (#1)